10.5.08

Inaugural Post - Masculinity and Viking Heavy Metal

Well, I had a wonderful time last night.

Why, you ask? PaganFest 2008, of course! I got to see two of my favourite bands play right in front of me over the course of an hour or so. My voice is still hoarse from shouting along to TÝR's and Turisas' sets. I was a bit miffed that TÝR's set was so short ('Sinklars Vísa' from their upcoming album, 'Wings of Time', 'Hail to the Hammer' and 'Ramund Hin Unge'), but I chatted a bit with Terji at the bar over a $3 bottle of water. Turisas had an impressive set as well - 'As Torches Rise', 'Holmgard and Beyond', 'A Portage to the Unknown', 'In the Court of Jarisleif' (of course featuring some mad accordion-shred by a very attractive Finnish female), 'Rasputin', some awesome ballad that didn't have people jumping and smashing into each other as much, and then 'Battle Metal' to finish (Finnish?) off the set.

Some of the folks there were pretty cool. I sang 'The Wild Rover' along with another guy, and I was surprised that he knew all the lyrics to it. Truly, it is an amazing time when young people know Irish folk songs, and sing them at concerts where bands from the Færoe Islands are playing.

I think it's absolutely shite that so many venues don't allow cameras, as people like me won't be using the photos to sell and distribute, no matter how good my work is. [One thing to note is that I'm not going to be modest about things I am good at, like photography.] However, Warlord Nygård of Turisas had his first on-stage drink on the US tour. I guess indoor clubs don't allow alcohol on stage. Obviously, these men are Vikings, so they can certainly hold their liquor and it's also just something they do - Vikings are going to drink as much mead or ale as they please, unless you'd like an axe to the skull or something equally painful.

[This blog revolves around the theme of masculinity, so I'm going to try to work that theme into just about every single one of my entries.]

Metal and its various sub-genres (except for nu-metal, because that stuff is for losers) bring something unique to the realm of contemporary music in the West. It is harsh, aggressive, often offensive (both aurally and subject-wise), and a lot of it, especially that from Europe, is trying to revive the warrior spirit that man has traditionally been known for. That's why many of the bands that played last night and others in that genre have had such an effect on me. They speak of preserving one's culture, not allowing outsiders to dictate without question that what you hold dear is wrong and evil, or that fighting for what you believe in and standing out from others is something to be proud of. A lot of these bands are quite nationalistic in their subjects, choosing to sing in their native language or to arrange traditional melodies instead of just writing music in English that will land them on the 'Top 40' charts across the globe. They're a slap in the face to the multiculturalist/anti-Western movement that seeks to emasculate, oversocialize, water down Western culture and recast it as shameful and despicable. The message that TÝR, and others like them, send is that it's good to hold onto your roots and respect your native ways. There's nothing shameful about rejecting alien cultural impulses. In fact, it may be the only thing saving you from assimilation and eventual destruction.

The warrior mindset is prominently displayed in this music. Songs of triumph, great battles, exile, and survival are common. There's no talk of "peace and tolerance", like the notoriously-horrid early 90's alternative movement. One of my favourite quotes is as follows: "It doesn't matter how loud you play. If all you do is sing about racism and saving the whales, you're just a hippie in a leather jacket." - Joey Ramone

Well, that's it. I'm off to bed. I may have a photoshoot tomorrow, and after that I'm going to a 4-hour Krav Maga seminar. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hello MV-

Sorry it took me so long to read this entry. Sounds like it was quite a time you had. Let me hear some of this music the next time we meet!

TW